French Immersion at EMDYS
What are the benefits for my child?
After completing the French immersion program, your child will:
- be fluent in French;
- be proficient in English;
- be able to live, work and pursue post-secondary studies in French, English, or both languages;
- be part of and have an understanding and appreciation of Francophone cultures;
- be able to appreciate other languages, cultures and communities in Canada and around the world.
What is the learning environment like?
- French is used as the language of instruction for a significant part of each school day; several or all subjects are taught in French except the English Language Arts course.
- French Immersion programming begins with an intensive period of French language development. Students build a foundation in French so that they can learn to read and begin their studies in other subjects, such as math, science, social studies, the fine arts, etc. School and extra-curricular activities in French may be used to support the development of language skills and cultural appreciation.
- The language of communication between home and school is English.
Which program is best for my child?
French immersion is intended for a child whose first language is not French.
What about English learning?
- Students registered in the French immersion programming follow the same English Language Arts program of studies as all other Alberta students.
- The development of reading and writing skills is the same in both languages. Once learned, these skills transfer easily from one language to the other.
What else should I know?
- All courses taken by French first language, French immersion, and FSL students follow Alberta Education's program of studies.
- After learning more than one language, your child will have a greater ability to learn additional languages